A recipe from Thriving On Plants and Califia Farms
Cherie Tu is a Sydney-based foodie and plant-based recipe creator. Follow her Instagram here: @thrivingonplants
“This recipe is an absolute winner, not only is it easy to make, but it’s incredibly delicious and the perfect breakfast for any morning. I also used Califia’s new Vanilla Oat Milk for a naturally sweet, dairy-free and creamy base which worked perfectly in this recipe,” says Cherie Tu.
Makes: 8-10 slices (approx. 3 servings)
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 15 mins
1 cup Califia Farms Vanilla Oat Milk
2 tbsp cornstarch/cornflour
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
8-10 slices dense crusty bread
Vegan butter, for frying
- To a shallow bowl or dish, whisk together the milk, cornflour, nutritional yeast, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt.
- Heat a large frypan over medium heat. Add in a dollop of vegan butter and spread around the pan until melted.
- In the meantime, add your bread to the batter and soak on each side for 15-20 seconds until well coated. Only do this with as many slices that can fit into the pan in 1 batch (roughly 2-3).
- Place the bread onto the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes until both sides are golden. Repeat with any remaining bread and batter.
- To serve, top with fresh berries, a dusting of icing sugar and maple syrup.